So after all the necessary equipment had finally arrived I managed to have a go at making my own PCB.  I found this really useful tutorial on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnfnt2rNO0&list=PL736ED63818F361CB&index=10).

 I opted to try out the board I designed for the RGB LED cube as it is single sided and relatively simple.  After checking it over I set it up to print to an inkjet acetate.  After inspecting the initial print I decided to print another and double them up as there were some very small holes.  After lining them up I taped them together and the quality was much better.  After a final visual inspection I cut an appropriate sized PCB with the Dremmel.




 After hooking up a red LED so I could see without effecting the photo resist on the PCB.  I used a photo frame to hold the acetate in place, I used a few heavy items to hold the glass flat against the board and then proceeded to shine a lamp onto the PCB.

 

Then used a developer solution to remove the unwanted photoresist; I was not very pleased with the result as I had to remove the board with half of the board over developed and the other half underdeveloped.  Finnally I etched the board in Ferric chloride which worked well; however the remaining photoresist ruined the top of the board.  This is something that could easily be corrected with a bit of time but I am keen to finder a better solution.


















I think that the problem is exposing the board using a normal light bulb; I dont think that this gives an even distribution of UV light.  After browsing the web I found that many people have adapted old scanners to make a UV exposure box.  I am going to use UV LEDs along the scanning arm to equally expose the whole board.  It will take a bit of experimenting but I hope that eventually I will just be able to press a buton and the board will be properly exposed every time.  I am picking up an old scanner/printer tonight which I will adapt.